R. Scott Bakker's The Unholy Consult update

Monday, June 22, 2015


Back in October 2013, Bakker announced that he had finished his first draft of the Unholy Consult, the third and final novel in the Aspect Emperor series. Since then, the book was supposed to be in the hands of editors but it looks like, as the author mentioned today on his blog, Bakker's publisher may be "re-evaluating their commitment to the series". Fear not for the worst that can happen, at least still from his post, is a delay. I'm really eager to finish the series but I can wait, hoping that I don't forget too much of how things ended in the previous book...

What about you? Any readers of Bakker's work eager for his sixth Fantasy novel? Are the Prince of Nothing and Aspect Emperor series not getting enough press? Is Bakker disregarded for the denser philosophical side of his writing? May the slog continues! Here's the author's comment:
And lastly, things keep dragging on with my publishers regarding The Unholy Consult. My delay turning the manuscript in and the quick turnover of editorial staff in the industry means that no one was up to speed on the series–but six months on from submission, and still we have no word. My fear (not my agent’s) is that they might be re-evaluating their commitment to the series–the way all publishers are reviewing their commitments to their midlist authors. I know for a fact that other publishers are interested in snapping the series up, so there’s no need to organize a wake, but who knows what kind of delay would result. Perhaps shooting them emails explaining why they should believe this series will continue growing might help? I dunno. 
The market only grows more and more crowded, and still there’s nothing quite like The Second Apocalypse. Distinction is key in this day and age…

2 comments:

Bob/Sally said...

That's unfortunate news. I read his first trilogy years ago, long before I started blogging, and was absolutely blown away. I don't often reread books, but I've been thinking of doing just that for the entire series before Unholy Consult lands. Looks like the publisher has bought me some time, but hopefully it is just a delay.

Bakker is an amazing author with a unique vision and narrative style. He's never been marketed well, though.

Cursed Armada said...

Sent a letter to Orbit just today... Such a shame they're treating him like this.

a Fantasy Reader All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger